Confession: I will choose dark meat over white meat every time.
Thanksgiving turkey, chicken thighs over breasts, these are a few of my favorite things.
When it comes to crockpot and Instant Pot cooking, sticking to dark meat often means a juicier meat.
My Crockpot Bourbon Chicken is made with chicken thighs and it’s moist and perfect, especially over some sticky white rice.
This is a regular rotation meal for us, especially during the school year, because it’s just so gosh darn easy!
Chicken thighs, ketchup, soy sauce, dijon mustard, a whole bear of honey, garlic, red pepper flakes, and onion.
First, we’re going to combine all the wet and sticky ingredients to make the sauce, adding in the garlic and red pepper flakes, too!
We like spice, so we go heavy handed on the red pepper flakes, but you can omit them completely if they are not your jam, this recipe won’t suffer by not having them.
Once you mix this all together, set it aside.
When it comes to the onions, I try and dice them up pretty small, they melt away in this dish pretty easily, your kids won’t even know they are there!
Combine all of it in the crockpot, cover, and cook on high 4 hours, or low for 4-6. Chicken thighs can cook up pretty quickly.
Bourbon Chicken will shred really easily right in the crockpot when it’s ready, so just go through it with a fork, and it’s good to go.
Serve this over some sticky white rice, and top with fresh green onion and some sesame seeds.
- 3lbs boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 large yellow Onion, diced
- 12 oz Honey
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Additional Toppings:
- Green Onions, sliced
- Sesame Seeds
- Make sauce: add honey, soy sauce, ketchup, garlic, mustard, and red pepper flakes to a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Dice yellow onion. Set aside.
- Add chicken thighs to the crock pot, top with diced onion and sauce.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and breaks apart easily. Shred chicken with fork, and keep warm until serving.
- Serve over white rice, topped with green onion and sesame seeds.