Obviously, egg rolls are delicious.
But did you know they are also crazy easy to make?
To be honest, the whole things a little dangerous, because once you realize you can whip these suckers up in zero time flat, boom, your whole fridge is full of egg rolls. Your kid’s lunch is full of egg rolls. You named your cat Egg roll. You can’t find your car keys, they’re in an egg roll. Everything is egg rolls.
Everything to make these crispy homemade egg rolls can be found in almost any grocery store, and they come out cheaper than my favorite take-out spot.
So the coolest part of your new egg roll lifestyle is that you can make ANYTHING into an eggroll.
But to start with a more traditional route, here’s what I use to throw together a copycat version of my favorite take-out egg rolls: ground chicken, coleslaw mix, egg roll wrappers, green onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
Not pictured, my secret surprise ingredient… salad shrimp. Read on.
First brown and drain the ground chicken, and then add in the whole bag of coleslaw mix and chopped green onion.
You can obviously hand chop cabbage and shred carrot, but why do that when you could… not?
Once your mix is cooked through, pull from heat and get ready to assemble your egg roll.
Remember that secret ingredient I told you about, now’s the time to pull out the frozen salad shrimp. This is, of course, optional.
Salad shrimp are teeny tiny shrimp, and I like to tuck one into every egg roll I make. Like a fun little fried Advent calendar surprise.
When it comes to frying up egg rolls, you have some options.
Some people like to bake them in the oven. I am not those people.
Others people love them in an air fryer. I am, surprisingly, also not those people.
I like a traditional all over crisp on my egg roll, and I can only really achieve that in a pan with hot oil, so I fry my egg rolls in vegetable or avocado oil, with a splash of sesame oil for flavor.
When you place them in the hot oil, make sure to do so seam side down, it seals them and keeps them from falling apart.
This is not a pan you can walk away from, as the egg rolls brown up pretty quickly.
Once golden brown, flip until all sides are perfectly crispy.
You can serve these egg rolls with any sweet and sour or duck sauce.
They are the perfect appetizer, side dish, or stand alone movie night dinner.
Consider that Chinese take-out itch, scratched.
These are the perfect side to my 15 Minute Wonton Soup, click here to check it out, now!
- 1 lbs. Ground Chicken
- Bag of Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Green Onion, chopped
- Salad shrimp (optional)
- Vegetable or Avocado Oil
- Sesame Oil (optional)
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, minced
- Refrigerated Eggroll Wrappers
- Brown and drain ground chicken in a pan.
- Add garlic, ginger, coleslaw mix, and green onion. Stir to mix. Cover and cook through.
- Once heated through, add soy sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Position a wrapper in the shape of a diamond in front of you. Place a spoonful of filling from your pan and one salad shrimp (optional) in the center of an eggroll wrapper. Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling. Continue rolling up, folding the right and left sides in, and continue rolling until you have an egg roll shape. Secure the edges with a bit of water. (See linked Instagram video for tutorial)
- Heat Avocado/Vegetable oil in a pan. Add a splash of sesame oil (optional) for taste.
- Place the eggrolls into the hot oil, seam side down, flip when golden brown. Continue turning until all sides are golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper town or on a cookie rack.
- Serve warm with sweet and sour sauce.
✨Watch me make these eggrolls on Instagram!✨