My first go-round with sweet potatoes was probably similar to yours.
Covered in marshmallows at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
And then they serve them at restaurants with more damn sugar and caramel?
To be fair, I am not a sweets girl.
I like salty and savory and spicy.
Want to make me a sweet potato?
Excellent, please cover it in butter and salt.
Even better… put it on a pizza.
A sweet potato and caramelized onion pizza, man.
This is my favorite pizza in the entire world, because while I might slum it in the sweatpants and granny panty department, I am allll manner of extra in my pizza toppings.
This pizza is quick and cheap.
Sweet potatoes, onions, spinach, fresh mozzarella, sausage or bacon, balsamic glaze, and some store-bought pizza crust, because this lady aint’ got time to mess with yeast.
Not pictured, blue cheese, which is an optional kick in the pants to this pizza.
This pizza is just a series of small prep tasks, that you then toss together to get melty and fantastic.
First up, pre-bake that crust. You have to do this, it’s non-negotiable, baby.
If you don’t do this, it won’t cook evenly, and the center of your pizza will be uncooked and disgusting.
Just follow the directions on the tube.
Then you need to get that sweet potato roasted.
So peel it and slice it up into bite size pieces.
Toss those pieces into a bag with some olive oil and salt and pepper, seal it and shake it up to get it all coated in flavor.
Into the air fryer they go until they roast up to a lovely golden brown, and then set them aside.
Because it’s onion time!
Keep them round, it’s prettier that way.
And then into a hot pan with some oil and maybe some butter, and caramelize those yummy puppies right up.
And now we assemble.
As you can see, there is no red sauce on this pizza.
Instead, the base is olive oil, and spread it around thick.
Then start layering on all those delicious sweet potatoes and onions.
And then it’s all manner of spinach, sausage, mozzarella and blue cheese.
Into the oven this goes until it all becomes a gooey and melty pizza.
When it’s ready, pull it out and drizzle that Balsamic Vinegar Glaze all the hell over it.
I’m going to need a minute.
In the mean time, check out the recipe below.
- 1 tube pre-made Pizza Crust
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 1 large Onion
- Baby Spinach
- 8oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- 2oz Blue Cheese Crumbles (optional, if you can stand blue cheese)
- Chopped Bacon or Crumbled Sausage, cooked
- Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread crust across greased cookie sheet, pre-bake according to packaging instructions, set aside.
- Peel and slice sweet potato into bite sized pieces.
- Toss potato slices into ziplock bag with olive oil, salt and pepper, seal and toss to coat.
- Roast potatoes in air fryer at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly browned. Set aside.
- Slice onion into round slices.
- Add butter and olive oil to hot pan, and toss in onions to caramelize until translucent and cooked through. Set aside.
- Coat pizza crust with olive oil.
- Layer roasted sweet potato and onions onto crust.
- Layer spinach, sausage, mozzarella and blue cheese onto the pizza.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Remove from oven, and immediately drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze.