Like all good Midwesterners, my food pyramid is made up of various forms of casseroles and bar foods.
It’s why we’re all so gosh darn happy!
I won’t ever say no to fried chunks of chicken tossed in sauce, but I am incredibly picky about the state in which they are placed in front of me.
I don’t want them too soupy, and the breading needs to be light and crispy, not thick and peppery. A good basket of buffalo-tossed chicken chunks can get you through a hangover, a break-up, or in my family, a christening!
My absolute favorite way to eat chicken chunks is tossed in medium hot sauce sauce, covered in sautéed mushrooms and melted cheese, and then topped with crispy fried bacon.
You know, like most Olympic athletes!
The recipe is a lot of quickly prepping different aspects of the dish, and then tossing it (literally) all together at the end.
So sauté up your mushrooms, and set them aside.
Toss your chicken in corn starch and salt and pepper.
There should never be more breading than chicken.
It fries up real quick in a bit of oil in a pan or your air fryer.
You can either drizzle the whole thing with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, or just have it on the side to dip.
Either way, it’s the best pile of meat, funguses, and cheese you’ll ever eat.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size chunks
- 8 oz container of sliced Mushrooms
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Hot Sauce (I'm partial to Franks Original)
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- Corn Starch
- Salt & Pepper
- In a medium saucepan, sauté your sliced mushrooms in butter until cooked through, and set aside.
- Combine corn starch, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl, and lightly coat your chicken chunks, shaking off all excess breading.
- Cook chunks in air fryer at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, turning over at half. If you don't have an air fryer, simply heat up some vegetable or olive oil in a skillet and lightly fry until cooked through. Set aside.
- To prepare the buffalo sauce, get a plastic container with a lid, and combine the hot sauce and melted butter. Add fried chicken chunks to the container, seal the lid, and shake to coat.
- To prepare using air fryer: On a piece of parchment paper layer the buffalo chicken chunks with sautéed mushrooms and then shredded cheese. Place in air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- To prepare in microwave, layer the chicken chunks with sautéed mushrooms and then shredded cheese, and then microwave for 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped bacon and drizzle with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing.