It’s balls hot outside, so that means it’s time for my all-time favorite summer dishes…. insalata caprese!
A caprese (kuh-pray-say) salad is one of those salads that eats like a meal.
And what I mean by that is, here, I made this salad and I’m tired, so I’m not making anything else. Enjoy.
This is also a great way to supplement whatever you’re pulling off the grill. Salmon, steak, chicken… serve this along side, or even pile it on top!
The reason my salad is so good is because I let it marinate in the fridge before eating it. That’s the secret, let those tomatoes devour that balsamic.
On top of the big three (cheese, tomato, and basil), I make a really amazing dressing, and then garnish with a sweet sauce to help balance the tart balsamic marinade.
Whisk up the main dressing and marinade: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper.
If you like your salad saucier, double the measurements on this. You really can never have too much of this dressing, because what’s left behind can very easily be swept up with a grilled meat or big slice of crusty french bread.
Cut up your tomato and onion, slice up your basil, then add those to a bowl with the mozzarella. Make sure to slice that red onion really thin. It’s a delicately balanced dish, and you want to taste all the players involved, not just the obnoxious one.
Dump your dressing over the top, toss, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to give the veggies time to marinate and soak up all the flavors.
When it’s ready to serve, hit it with some of that amazing balsamic glaze, a touch of salt and pepper as needed, and garnish with some more basil.
- 6 Campari Tomatoes (medium size tomatoes will work), sliced
- 6 Basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- Balsamic Glaze
- Whisk together dressing: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine thinly sliced red onion, mozzarella, tomatoes, and sliced basil.
- Pour dressing over cheese and veggies, and gently stir to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow to marinate.
- Before serving, drizzle with balsamic glaze and garnish with freshly sliced basil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper if needed.